Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

RESCUE Stroke Caregiving

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

VA and Community Resources: Alphabetical Order


Rescue logo

Link Disclaimer: Links to information and Web sites outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs do not indicate an endorsement of products or services offered by the sites. In addition, these sites may have privacy and security policies that are inconsistent with those of VA.

Download a free version of Adobe Reader to view PDF files.

The following is a list of important VA and community resources from the RESCUE fact sheets in alphabetical order. If preferred, view these resources listed by topic categories.

A | B | CDE | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M

N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | UV | W | X | Y | Z


AARP (American Association of Retired Persons)
AARP has helpful information for working and long-distance caregivers. 
Web: has helpful information on how stroke can affect your sexuality.

ADAPT is a national organization that has been fighting for disability rights for over 30 years. Adapt is a political group that works to end discrimination and win rights for people with disabilities.

Administration of Community Living
The Administration on Community Living connects you to federal, national and local programs. These programs may help pay for some expenses. 

Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality offers the latest evidence-based information for improving your health. Also read about 20 Tips to Help Prevent Medical Errors.

Aging Life Care Association
Aging Life Care Association can help you find a care manager near you. To find one near you, click on “Find an Aging Life Care Expert.”

Alzheimer's Association
The Alzheimer's Association has practical tips to help with memory problems. For example, they suggest labeling drawers or cabinets with words or pictures that describe their contents.

American Association of Daily Money Managers (AADMM) 
The American Association of Daily Money Managers is a membership organization that provides daily money management services to their clients. Find a DMM in your area.

American Bar Association 
Your state’s Bar Association may have basic living wills, trusts and power of attorney forms you can download. The American Bar Association – Commission on Law and Aging,  has legal tools for making sure your wishes are carried out.

American Civil Liberties Union 
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) protects government employees from unfair treatment.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention  
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has helpful information on firearm safety, and suicide prevention. 

American Geriatrics Society Foundation for Health in Aging  
The American Geriatrics Society has information on “Home Care”, as well as a comprehensive Caregiver Guide that reviews common caregiver concerns. The AGS Foundation for Health in Aging has a list of warning signs of unsafe driving.

American Heart Association  
The American Heart Association provides information and helpful tips on how to stop smoking. Smoking increases your risk of another stroke, so quitting is important.

The American Heart Association has free Family Discussion Boards. You can share ideas and questions.

American Medical Association 
The American Medical Association has a Caregiver Self-Assessment Questionnaire. This tool allows caregivers to look at their own behavior and health risks. Also available in Spanish and other languages.

American Psychological Association  
The American Psychological Association includes a "Caregiver Briefcase": publications on caregiver information.  

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association has information on communication problems after stroke. You can also search for licensed speech-language pathologists (including bilingual therapists) in your area.

American Stroke Association 
The American Stroke Association provides information on many aspects of stroke. Scroll through the topics on the navigation panel to learn more about stroke, FAST acronym, life after stroke, and how to find help and support as a stroke survivor and/or caregiver. 

The “Life After Stroke” section specifically has information for family caregivers on life after stroke. It includes information on resources and products.

The American Stroke Association has a list of each Vocational Rehab Agency in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. Vocational rehabilitation services help people with strokes get back into the workforce.

The American Stroke Association has a lot of information about stroke support groups, including how to start your own stroke support group. 

American Urological Association Foundation
The American Urological Association Foundation has informative guides available for download reviewing urological conditions, such as overactive bladder and incontinence.  

Americans with Disabilities Act 
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 is a law that established many civil rights for people with disabilities. The law made it illegal to discriminate based on disability.

Aphasia Now  
AphasiaNow is a social initiative by people living with Aphasia. Aphasia Now provides long-term help and support for people with Aphasia in the South West and nationally via website and social media.

ARCH National Respite Network 
ARCH National Respite Network has a database on respite care services available in your area.



Blue Pages
The Blue Pages has a directory of various state and local services, including links to local hospitals and medical facilities.

Web: is an on-line resource to help families find care or caregivers find jobs. They also have helpful articles and resources for caregivers. Read about Caring for Seniors with Mobility Problems: Advice for Families and Caregivers.


Caregiver Action Network 
Caregiver Action Network provides resources and support for caregivers. Read their fact sheets on:

Caregiver Library
Phone: 1-804-327-1111 is an on-line healthcare products store.  

Caregiver Support Program (see VA Caregiver Support Program) 
Web: has information on advance health care directives. It includes a step-by-step guide on how to set up an advance directive. They also have expert advice on estate planning and living wills. It explains what a will is and how to set up and update one.

Caring Connections 
Phone: 1-800-658-8898 
Catholic Charities agencies serve people of all faiths. They provide a wide range of services such as housing, emergency services and health care.  

Centers for Independent Living   
Phone: 713-520-0232 
Centers for Independent Living are private, nonprofit services to help individuals with disabilities live independently in the community.
Web: is a registry and results database of federally and privately supported clinical trials conducted in the United States and around the world. gives you information about a trial's purpose, who may participate, locations, and phone numbers for more details. This information should be used in conjunction with advice from health care professionals.

Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) 
Phone: 1-520-325-1044 
The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accredits or gives a “seal of approval” to rehab facilities. Look for the CARF certificate of accreditation at the facilities you visit. Find an accredited facility near you.



Department of Housing and Urban Development 
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development may help with funding for home modification projects. Find your local Housing and Urban Development office.

Department of Veterans Affairs (See also VA)
The VA has some funding for home modification projects through its Home Loans program. The VA Health Benefits Service Center provides information on VA health benefits and the types of care available to Veterans. If you are new to the VA, the Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors booklet will help you get started. Also available in Spanish.

Some states have special programs for Veterans. Your local VA Medical Center may offer and pay for adult day healthcare programs and long-term housing. Talk to a social worker for more information about these benefits.

Department of Veterans Affairs- Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services   
VA's Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services is responsible for the national policies and programs for medical rehabilitation, prosthetic and sensory aids services that promote the health, independence and quality of life for Veterans with disabilities. Examples of available assistive technology and/or programs include:

Disability is an on-line nationwide disability lawyer directory. 

Disabled American Veterans 
Local service clubs, like the Disabled American Veterans (DAV), sometimes have transportation programs. They may also have volunteer drivers. Get more information on their transportation program.


Eldercare Locator, Area Agency on Aging (AAA)  
Phone: 1-800-677-1116
The Eldercare Locator helps you find your local Area Agency on Aging (AAA). Your local AAA can help you find community-based services like transportation, respite care, legal help and caregiver support services. Scroll to the bottom of the page for additional resources and education for caregivers, ie: transportation, support services, elder rights, housing and insurance/benefits information. 

Eldercare Online Network  
The Eldercare Online Network is committed to providing senior resources, home health care advice and on online community where supportive peers and professionals help you improve quality of life for yourself and your elder.


Faith in Action 
Faith in Action brings together people of many faiths to help their neighbors in need. Volunteers shop, cook or just check in.

Fall Prevention Center of Excellence 
Web: Resources - / NRCSHHM
Phone: 1-213-740-1364
The Fall Prevention Center of Excellence has tips on ways to prevent falls both at home and in the community. Get more information on fall prevention.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) 
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires some employers to allow up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave. Some states have laws that expand leave.

Family Caregiver Alliance 
Phone: 1-800-445-8106
The Family Caregiver Alliance offers a wide range of caregiver resources, including caregiving tips, information and encouragement about taking care of yourself as a caregiver, connections to community organizations and agencies, and overviews of health conditions. Some information also available in Spanish. 
Web: has information on ways to deal with stress. Some information also available in Spanish.

Federal Trade Commission  
Report false or misleading health information to the Federal Trade Commission. Information also available in Spanish.


Web: is a portal to other government health sites. It also has a list of the most recent toll-free numbers for various health organizations.

Healthfinder has information on finding prescription drug assistance through the Partnership for Prescription Assistance. Healthfinder also has helpful tools such as a health encyclopedia and quick guides to healthy living. Information also available in Spanish.

Hire Disability Solutions
Phone: 1-800-238-5373
Hire Disability Solutions is a resource for employees with disability. They can find a job for their specific needs. It is also for employers trying to create a more accessible workplace.

Hospice Foundation of America  
Phone: 1-800-854-3402
Hospice Foundation of America has information on how to get hospice care. It describes available resources for end of life care needs.




Live Strong  
Live Strong is an online service of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The foundation is devoted to cancer patients and survivors. It offers good finance organizing forms anyone can use.



Mayo Clinic  
The Mayo Clinic has information for women on how to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles to improve urinary incontinence. The exercises to strengthen these muscles are called Kegel exercises.

Meals-on-Wheels Association of America  
Phone: 1-888-998-6325
See if your area has a Meals-on-Wheels service that delivers food to the home. Enter the city and state you live in. The Web site will show if local agencies offer meal programs in your area.

Medicaid is a program that provides health coverage for lower income and disabled people. Benefits will vary by state. Benefits may include assistive devices, such as wheelchairs and scooters. Certain medical criteria must be met.

Phone: 1-800-633-4227
Medicare is a program that provides health coverage for people age 65 or older. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services gives comparisons of nursing homes in your area. On that same page, you can also download a tip sheet on what to look for when visiting a nursing home. View their Nursing Home Checklist. There is also a comparison of home health agencies in your area.

MedlinePlus provides trusted health information on many topics. It will direct you to information on many health topics including erectile dysfunction, mobility aids and catheters.

MedlinePlus has guides on finding reliable health information on the internet. Information also available in Spanish.

Med Supply Guide
The Med Supply Guide has more information about wheelchairs.

MIRECC offers helpful information on lethal means safety and suicide prevention. Within this link, there is a download option for the “VA Firearm Safety Lock Brochure.”

MOVE! Weight Management Program  
The Move! Weight Management Program is a VA diet and exercise program to help Veterans improve their health. To make the program more tailored to your needs, take the MOVE! 11 questionnaire.

There are also handouts on nutrition, exercise and emotional health. Information is also available in Spanish.

My HealtheVet
My HealtheVet (MHV) provides trusted information on stroke and other health conditions. It also provides tools to track your loved one’s health and communicate with your loved one’s healthcare providers.

My HealtheVet has information on aging and sleep. You can find a test to measure your insomnia severity index. There is a sample diary to track your daily sleep patterns.

My HealtheVet also has a screening test you can take for symptoms of depression. 
Web: is the US government’s financial education site. It provides important information on various financial topics. 
Web: provides information on the food groups and provides dietary recommendations. You can also find healthy eating tips and use the interactive tools to create a personalized plan or find low-cost foods.



National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys 
Phone: 1-703-942-5711
The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys provides education and support on financial issues. They have brochures on Medicare and planning for health care decision making. See a list of their brochures.


National Adult Day Services Association 
The National Adult Day Services Association can help you find services in your area. They have an informative guide on respite services.

National Association of Area Agencies on Aging 
Phone: 1-202-872-0888 
The National Association of Area Agencies on Aging is a national site that helps you find local services and ways to pay for care.

National Caregivers Library
The National Caregivers Library has helpful information for caregivers. Read about the following topics:

National Center for Assisted Living 
Phone: 1-202-842-4444
The National Center for Assisted Living has information on assisted living facilities in your area.

National Center on Health, Physical Activity, and Disability
Phone: 1-800-900-8086 
The National Center on Health, Physical Activity, and Disability has a list of resources for people with disabilities who want to be active. They show how people with disabilities can do sports, exercise classes, or outdoor recreation. 

National Aging and Disability Transportation Center
Phone: 1-866-528-6278
The National Aging and Disability Transportation Center’s goal is to promote the availability and accessibility of transportation options for older adults, people with disabilities and caregivers. Select the green “Looking for a Ride?” tab to search for transportation options in your area. 

National Council on Aging, BenefitsCheckUp 
The National Council on Aging, BenefitsCheckUp has an online questionnaire to check programs your loved one is eligible for.

National Council on Aging: Center for Healthy Aging 
Phone: 571-527-3900
The National Council on Aging has information for caregivers on social isolation/ loneliness, COVID 19, finance concerns, healthy eating and preventing falls here

National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute  
Phone: 1-301-592-8573 
Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) is a diet used by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to help prevent or reduce high blood pressure.


National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO)  
Phone: 1-800-658-8898
The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization has information to help with end of life issues

National Institute on Aging (NIA) 
Phone: 1-800-222-4225
The National Institute on Aging has a publication for caregivers called “So Far Away: Twenty Questions for Long-Distance Caregivers.” It offers answers to 20 commonly asked questions long-distance caregivers have.

The National Institute on Aging has guides on obtaining good healthcare and information. Information also available in Spanish.

National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) 
Phone: 1-800-241-1044 
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) has information on various health conditions and treatments. It also has tips for caring for survivors with different communication problems.

National Institutes of Health (NIH) 
Phone: 1-301-496-4000 
The National Institutes of Health has a caregiver guide to dental care.

National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification 
Phone: 1-213-740-1364
The National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification has a large list of companies with products to make daily living easier.

National Resource Directory
Phone: 1-800-342-9647
The National Resource Directory provides information on and access to resources for Veterans and their families. The directory includes a full range of medical and nonmedical services and resources. 

National Shooting Sports Foundation
The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the firearm industry’s trade association. Learn more about gun safety and protecting your loved ones.

National Sleep Foundation 
Phone: 1-202-347-3471 
The National Sleep Foundation has tools to assess satisfaction with sleep. You can find a tool to measure the amount of caffeine in food and drinks. You can find a diary to keep track of sleepiness. There is a tool to determine your loved one’s snore score. You can also find information about sleep myths.

NeighborWorks Network 
Phone: 1-202-220-2300
The NeighborWorks Network and other non-profit and volunteer groups may pay for some home changes. Find a NeighborWorks organization near you.

NYU Langone Medical Center/NYU School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry
Phone: 1-212-263-6216 
NYU Langone Medical Center/NYU School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry has information on depression and an on-line depression screening test.



Rebuilding Together 
Phone: 1-800-473-4229
Rebuilding Together and other non-profit and volunteer groups may pay for some home changes. Find your local group.

Release Your Potential  
Release Your Potential is an on-line community for people affected by spasticity. It provides information on spasticity along with various treatments and resources.



Sammons Preston 
Phone: 1-800-323-5547
Sammons Preston is an on-line healthcare products store.

Senior Planning Services 
Phone: 1-805-966-3312
The Senior Planning Services has more information about exercise, including a fact sheet on exercises to do at home.

Social Security Administration  
The Social Security Administration may help with funding. Find a Social Security Office near you. The Social Security Administration has information on Supplemental Security Income (SSI). SSI is income in addition to Social Security for low-income persons.

Stroke Network 
The Stroke Network has links to support groups, chat rooms and bulletin boards.

Stroke QUERI  
Phone: 1-317-988-3475
Stroke QUERI is a Department of Veterans Affairs site that provides Veterans and their families with information on stroke.



United Way 
Phone: 1-703-836-7112 
The United Way links you to a variety of community resources. Find your local agency. 

US Department of Labor
Phone: 1-866-487-2365
The US Department of Labor has additional information on the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). 

US Pain Foundation
Phone: 1-888-615-7246
The American Pain Foundation has a helpful list of Resources to provide you with information, support and resources to manage your pain. 

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Phone: 1-800-669-4000           
1-800-669-6820 (TTY for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only)              
1-844-234-5122 (ASL Video Phone for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only) 
Persons with disabilities can learn more about their rights in the workplace.   

U.S. Government 
Download the US Government preparedness kit checklist of what supplies you should have on-hand in case of an emergency.



VA (see Department of Veterans Affairs)

VA Caregiver Support Program
This site provides more trusted information on caregiving as well as information on available VA programs to support caregivers of Veterans.
Each VA Medical Center has a Caregiver Support Coordinator available to assist you with enrolling in these programs. For help, contact your local Caregiver Support Coordinator using the Caregiver Support Coordinator search tool on the site, or call the VA Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274 (toll free 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET). 

VA Nutrition and Food Services 
Nutrition and Food Services (NFS) develops and provides comprehensive evidenced based nutritional services for our Veterans and their families across VHA’s health care facilities. Find nutrition education and recipes by selecting an option in the left hand navigation panel.  

VA Respite
Talk with the social worker or Caregiver Support Coordinator at your local VA medical center. Each VA has different types of respite care. 

Veterans Health Library 
Search various topics in the Veterans Health Library to stay well and informed. 

These materials were created for the project:

Web-Based Informational Materials for Caregivers of Veterans Post-Stroke

Project Number SDP 06-327 funded by VA HSR&D Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI)